General Manager, Musical Theater
New York City Center is seeking an experienced and highly-skilled General Manager of Musical Theater who possesses a solid track record of leading theatrical administrative operations. This is a multi-faceted role responsible for the administrative operations of the Encores! series, Encores! Off-Center series, annual New York City Center Gala, and other musical theater productions. This person will be expected to proactively plan and execute the successful presentation of all musical theater programs while professionally and knowledgeably representing City Center in the performing arts community.
- Lead the advancement and execution of all musical theater programming at City Center
- Perform all day to day operations to mount a production and ensure to its successful running
- Prepare lists of necessary personnel for productions, negotiate all terms of their employment, and execute contracts (Directors, Designers, Stage Managers, Actors, Musicians, etc.)
- Develop in partnership with Artistic Directors and COO, a detailed budget, schedule, and design deadlines for each production
- Ensure that all deadlines, schedules, and budgets are being adhered to and follow up or facilitate conversations as necessary
- Close all artistic deals with licensing bodies and critical creative team members during the season planning process to ensure that an Artistic Director’s vision is executed
- Work collaboratively with the COO to complete the budgeting and reforecasting processes for each production.
- Monitor the script adaptation and score restoration process to ensure necessary deadlines are being met and appropriate resources are allocated
- See to clear, concise, and consistent communication to all stakeholders, producers, staff and creative teams on a production’s status and changes
- Create and process all necessary paperwork, payments, contracts, claims, etc.
- Supervise Assistant Musical Director and work with Music Department for all budgeting, hiring, payroll, and rehearsal support.
- Support the casting process in working with Casting Agents, Artistic Directors, Directors, and other necessary creative staff to schedule and facilitate all auditions.
- Oversee Company Management operations as it relates to ticketing, billing, transportation, and housing
- Anticipate, manage and proactively coordinate and communicate programming needs with internal departments.
- Maintain accurate historical records of contracts, agreements, and other important documents
- In partnership with Marketing & Communication, ensure to the accurate artistic billing on marketing materials. Supervise and see to the success of any PR events, interviews, press days, etc.
- Coordinate completion of all contractual and employment paperwork for personnel along with General Management Associate.
- Facilitate special events and projects that relate to musical theater programs, including but not limited to: cast recordings, gala arrangements, lobby projects, cast parties, etc.
- Manage general company care (questions, complaints, issues) during rehearsal and performances.
We expect qualified applicants to possess:
- 10+ years of previous experience in general management in musical theater
- Ability to negotiate contracts with high profile artists
- Experience working with union members and business representatives, and managing the grievance and arbitration process
Additional attributes of highly qualified candidates:
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong established industry connections
- Deep knowledge of industry relationships, nuance, and current trends
- Ability to uphold standards of professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality
- Ability to keep track of multiple projects with a keen sense of accuracy and efficiency
- Computer Savvy and able to learn programs and follow processes quickly
- Possess a skill of handling interactions with various personality types
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and communicate effectively and efficiently
- Ability to effectively lead a team and delegate responsibilities proactively
As a valued member of the City Center administrative team, you will receive:
- Comprehensive insurance coverage (medical, dental, life, disability)
- Generous paid time off
- Pre-tax flexible & dependent care savings accounts
- Pre-tax transit savings
- Pension Plan with (CIG) Cultural Institutions Group (fully vested after 5 years)
- 401K retirement savings account
- Access to various dress rehearsals, performances, educational events, and professional development opportunities
Email your resume as a pdf to Jobs@NYCityCenter.org and label email with General Manager in the subject line. We also request a thoughtful Letter of Interest that addresses the following:
• Why working at City Center in this position appeals to you.
• How your previous experience makes you the best candidate for this job.
City Center is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in performing arts administration are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status. This is an Exempt position according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Creative and Administrative Apprenticeships
New York City Center’s Apprenticeship program trains the next generation of creative, passionate arts professionals and builds pathways to careers in the arts for candidates from underrepresented communities. Our Administrative Apprenticeships run from September to May, with postings in our Education, Development, Marketing & Communications, and Programming departments. Creative Apprenticeships are available in Choreography or Directing, Costume Design, Lighting Design, Music Direction, Scene Design, and Sound Design on select Encores! and Encores! Off-Center shows. All Apprentices are compensated at $15/hour.
Learn more about the program and find out which Apprenticeships we’re currently hiring for by clicking here. https://www.nycitycenter.org/education/college-apprenticeships/
City Center is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to providing a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment (including sexual harassment) based upon any protected characteristic. City Center does not discriminate for reasons of race, color, creed, religion, age, marital status, membership in a domestic partnership, veterans or uniform service member status, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, ethnic or national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, medical condition, history of domestic violence or assault, caregiver status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable federal, state and local laws. City Center ensures equal and fair treatment of any employee or applicant with known mental or physical disabilities.